Hawaii Tax Online (hitax.hawaii.gov)
Hawaii Tax Online is a convenient and secure way to e-file tax returns, make payments, review letters, manage your accounts, and conduct other common transaction online with the Hawaii Department of Taxation.
- Filing taxes and making debit payments through this system is free.
- Hawaii Tax Online supports Corporate Income, Franchise, General Excise, Public Service Company, Rental Motor Vehicle, Tour Vehicle, and Car-Sharing Vehicle Surcharge, Seller’s Collection, Transient Accommodations, Use, and Withholding taxes.
- Beginning November 13, 2018, Individual Income, Partnerships, Estate/Transfer, and Fiduciary tax types will also be supported.
- To learn more about changes to Hawaii Tax Online, click here.
DOTAX.eHawaii.gov, frequently referred to as ELF, is being phased out and replaced by Hawaii Tax Online (hitax.hawaii.gov). ELF continues to be available for tax types that Hawaii Tax Online does not yet support.
- Currently, ELF supports Individual Income, Cigarette, Tobacco, Fuel, and Liquor taxes. Individual Income tax payments will be accepted on ELF through January 31, 2019.
- Filing taxes through ELF is free, but tax payments may be subject to additional fees.
- Logon information (user name and password) for ELF, eHawaii.gov, and Hawaii Tax Online are different.
IRS Modernized e-File Program
The State of Hawaii is a participant in the Internal Revenue Service’s Modernized e-File (MeF) program, which allows taxpayers to electronically file their federal and state income tax returns using approved tax preparation software or authorized tax professionals. Individual and Corporate Income tax returns can be filed through the software products or tax professionals approved for this program. Please contact vendors directly for any problems you encounter with their products or services.
Hawaii’s Bulk Electronic Filing System (HiBEFS)
The State of Hawaii Department of Taxation HiBEFS enables approved transmitters and reporting agents the ability to electronically transmit multiple HW-14 and HW-3 withholding tax returns via SFTP in a single ZIP file.
Income Tax Refund Status
Check the status of individual income tax refunds 16 weeks after submitting a tax return. Status information is updated once a day.
Search Business Tax Licenses
Use this search engine to search names and Hawaii Tax ID numbers of taxpayers that have been issued a tax permit/license/account for fuel tax, general excise/use tax, seller’s collection, transient accommodations tax, cigarette and tobacco tax, and/or withholding tax.
Hawaii Business Express (HBE)
Use HBE to file a single application to register a new business with the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA), apply for various types of tax permits/licenses/accounts with the Department of Taxation, and register for unemployment insurance with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations (DLIR).
Hawaii Compliance Express (HCE)
Use HCE to file a single application to apply for a Certificate of Good Standing from the DCCA, a tax clearance from the Department of Taxation, a tax Certificate of Compliance from the DLIR, and a tax clearance from the Internal Revenue Service. HCE issues a single Certificate of Vendor Compliance that satisfies proof of compliance requirements for taxpayers with state and county government contracts of $2,500 or more.