Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Aloha! The Department has put together a list of commonly asked questions and answers. Please remember that if your question is not answered here, send us an email at [email protected].

FAQs on this page

Other FAQs

FAQs – General Information

What is your phone number? What is your mailing address? Where are your offices located? What are your hours of operation?

Phone numbers, mailing addresses, the physical location of our buildings for in-person visits and hours of operation can be found on our Contact Us page.

For my business tax accounts, how do I change a mailing and/or business address?

Change of Address Form, Form ITPS-COA.

Whom should my check be made payable to?


Do you accept payments online?

Debit payments can be made for free through Hawaii Tax Online. Additional service fees apply to credit card payments.

Can I pay by cash?

Cash payments can be made in person by visiting our offices during normal business hours. Never mail or use our drop boxes for cash payments.

How can I obtain tax forms?

Tax forms can be downloaded and printed from our website at You can also file select tax returns online at Hawaii Tax Online. Hawaii Tax Online currently supports General Excise, Transient Accommodations, Withholding, Use Only, Seller’s Collection, Corporate income, Franchise, Rental Motor Vehicle, County Surcharge, and Public Service Company taxes. Beginning November 13, it will also support Individual Income, Partnership, Estate/Transfer, and Fiduciary tax types.

Why does the billing notice show a last four-digit number that does not match my SSN?

A: Due to the confidentiality of Social Security numbers, DOTAX issues a specific tax account number for each taxpayer that does not have a Federal Identification number. Therefore, the last four-digits of the specific tax account number, issued by DOTAX, are used on the billing notices rather than the last four digits of your Social Security number.

Does DOTAX redeposit checks that are insufficient and how many times?

Insufficient checks received by DOTAX will not be redeposited.

Can I use a Federal POA (Form 8821) in lieu of the State POA (Form N-848)?

No. The Federal POA form is not accepted in lieu of the State POA form.

How long does it take to get a response to a tax clearance request, after submission of the A-6 application?

In general, once an application is received, the normal turnaround time is approximately 10-15 business days. However, walk-in customers after waiting for the tax clearance process to be completed, by the Department staff, would normally receive a response at that time.

FAQs – State Income Tax Information

When is the filing deadline for State income tax returns?

For individual returns, April 22nd. For partnership, corporation, and fiduciary returns, on the 20th day of the fourth month following the close of the tax year.

Does Hawaii accept the Federal Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, in lieu of the Hawaii extension form?

No. Hawaii will not accept Federal extension forms. The Hawaii extension forms must be used.

What is Hawaii's personal exemption amount?

The personal exemption amount is $1,144 per exemption, including an additional exemption for those age 65 or older. If you are blind, deaf or totally disabled and your impairment has been certified, submit Form N-172 prior to filing your return in order to claim the disability exemption of $7,000. The disability exemption is in lieu of the $1,144 personal exemption amount.

What is the standard deduction amount for Hawaii?

The standard deduction amounts are as follows: Single or Married filing separately $2,200; Married filing jointly, or Qualifying widow(er) $4,400; Head of Household $3,212.

What is the formula for calculating penalty?

The penalty for failure to file a return on time is calculated at 5% per month, or part of a month, on the unpaid tax up to a maximum of 25%.

What is the formula for calculating Interest?

Interest is calculated at 2/3 of 1% per month or part of a month, on unpaid taxes and penalties beginning with the first calendar day after the date prescribed for payment, whether or not the first calendar day falls on a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday.

I need to file a prior year income tax return. Can I just use the current year form and change the year?

No. Under our present computer system, we are unable to process tax returns filed on forms for another year. These returns will be rejected and returned to you for resubmission with the correct year form. If you need forms for a prior year, you can call our Forms Request Line at 808-587-4242 or toll-free 1-800-222-3229 if they are not available on the website.

How can I check on the status of my refund?

Refund information for individual income returns can be checked at our Looking for Your Individual Refund Status page.

FAQs – General Excise Tax Information

Where can I find information about the General Excise Tax?

FAQs – Report Tax Violations

How do I report tax violations?

Please contact the Special Enforcement Section.

FAQs – Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

I'm currently approved for ACH Debit. What are the tax types I can pay?

A: You may pay the following tax types:-
 • 04610 : General Excise (GE)
 • 07420 : Transient Accommodations (TS)
 • 01130 : Withholding (WH)
 • 20070 : Rental Vehicle (RV)
 • 01311 : Individual Income
 • 01201 : Individual Estimated
 • 02230 : Corporation Income (CO)
 • 02103 : Corporation Estimated (CO)
 • 01740 : Fiduciary Income
 • 01205 : Estate and Trust Estimated
 • 02287 : Franchise (FR)
 • 02177 : Franchise Installment (FR)
 • 15095 : Public Service (PS)
 • 15077 : Public Service Installment (PS)
 • 05007 : Fuel
 • 06418 : Liquor
 • 07219 : Tobacco

How to set up EFT using the ACH Credit method
If I have more questions concerning EFT, who do I contact for further assistance?

For more information regarding EFT you can email the Electronic Processing Section at [email protected]. For more information regarding how to make a ACH Credit payment refer to the ACH Credit General Instructions at

FAQS – E-Filing

Which tax forms are available for e-filing?

See About Hawaii Tax Online.

Q: Can I file returns for free?
A: Filing state taxes and making debit payments through Hawaii Tax Online is free, but credit card payments are subject to a fee. See the forms page to see which forms are available for e-filing.

Q: Where can I find more information on free online filing of federal income tax returns?
A: If your adjusted gross income was $66,000 or less, free e-filing options are available through the IRS Free File: Do your taxes for free.

Which tax types have the Mandatory Electronic Filing requirement?

Please visit the Mandatory Electronic Filing page for detail information.

Can I file returns for free?

Filing state taxes and making debit payments through Hawaii Tax Online is free, but credit card payments are subject to a fee. See the forms page to see which forms are available for e-filing.

Where can I find more information on free online filing of federal income tax returns?

A: If your adjusted gross income was $66,000 or less, free e-filing options are available through the IRS Free File: Do your taxes for free.

FAQs – PDF Files

What is a PDF file and why does DOTAX use them?

PDF (Portable Document Format) files simplify and standardize the display of online information and printouts across multiple operating systems.

How do I use a PDF file?

Get Adobe Reader badge Download the Adobe Reader from the Adobe website. The Adobe Reader is free. Follow the instructions to install the Adobe Reader, and you will be able to view and print all our PDF files.

Viewing and printing forms and instructions with Adobe Reader is recommended. Download Adobe Reader by clicking on the “Get Adobe Reader icon” This links to the Adobe web site, where step-by-step instructions are available. Please review the System Requirements first. The G-45 and the N-11 require Version 9.0 or higher. Version 9.0 or higher is recommended for all PDF files.

Will the Adobe software calculate my taxes?

In general, no. The PDF software does allows you to type information into the form, and then print out the form including the information.

FAQs – Form 1098-F

What is Form 1098-F?

Form 1098-F, Fines, Penalties and Other Amounts, is a form created by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Form 1098-F is not an assessment or bill.

Under federal law, state government agencies must file a Form 1098-F with the IRS to report the amount required to be paid pursuant to a lawsuit, court order (order), or agreement, including settlements, with respect to any violation of law or the investigation or inquiry into the potential violation of a law, if the aggregate amount involved in all lawsuits, orders, or agreements equals or exceeds $50,000.

Who will get a Form 1098-F?

Anyone (both spouses on a joint income tax return) with one or more of the following situations and a total liability (including any tax, penalty and interest) greater than $50,000 for the calendar year:

  • Tax return with penalties (i.e., late file penalty, late paid penalty, EFT, failure to e-file penalty, underpayment of estimated tax penalty, etc.).
  • A citation issued by the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation.
  • Court order from a Tax Appeal Case.
  • Restitution from a Criminal Investigation Case from the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation.
  • Settlement with the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation.
  • Assessment issued by the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation.
What do I do with Form 1098-F?

Federal law requires the Hawaiʻi Department of Taxation to file Form 1098-F with the IRS and furnish a copy of the form to the taxpayer. The form is just for your information.

Where can I obtain more information?

For more information about IRS Form 1098-F, please see the IRS form instructions available at the following link:

Page Last Updated: March 21, 2024