Register as a Verified Practitioner
Verified Practitioner Registration with the Department Required (See Tax Announcement No. 2017-03).
The following persons are deemed to be representing taxpayers in a professional capacity and will be required to register and obtain a Verified Practitioner Identification Number (VPID) prior to representing taxpayers before the Department:
- Enrolled Agents;
- Enrolled Actuaries – enrolled as an actuary by the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries under 29 U.S.C. § 1242 (the authority to practice before the Internal Revenue Service is limited by section 10.3(d) of Circular 230);
- Enrolled Retirement Plan Agents – enrolled as a retirement plan agent under the requirements of Circular 230 (the authority to practice before the Internal Revenue Service is limited by section 10.3(e)); and
- All other persons who represent taxpayers and receive compensation for their services.
Please note that practitioners in the first five categories must register for a VPID regardless of whether they receive compensation for their services.
How to Register as a Verified Practitioner
Option 1 (recommended): Register as a Third Party on Hawaii Tax Online. Register & create an online account at the same time.
How to Register on HTO (PDF) 1page, 179 KB, 7/23/2021
Option 2: Complete Form PPS-12 (Rev. 2021) Verified Practitioner Registration Application.
Generally, applications take approximately 7 business days to process. After your application is approved, the Department will send you a Verified Practitioner Approval Letter with your assigned VPID. Please use your assigned VPID when completing the State of Hawaii – Department of Taxation Power of Attorney, Form N-848.
Benefits of using Hawaii Tax Online
- 24/7 access to client’s tax accounts
- File return(s) and make payment(s)
- Check account balances and financial summary information
- Send us a secure web message
Hawaii Tax Online FAQ (PDF) 3 pages, 136 KB, 8/9/2021
- Power of Attorney, Form N-848 (Rev. 2018)
- Form N-848 Instructions (Rev. 2020)
- Form PPS-12 (Rev. 2021)
Phone: (808) 587-1684
Email: [email protected]
Page Last Updated: January 24, 2022