Tax Registration Section
Register as a Verified Practitioner
Verified Practitioner Registration with the Department Required (See Tax Announcement No. 2017-03).
The following persons are deemed to be representing taxpayers in a professional capacity and will be required to register and obtain a Verified Practitioner Identification Number (VPID) prior to representing taxpayers before the Department:
- Enrolled Agents;
- Enrolled Actuaries – enrolled as an actuary by the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries under 29 U.S.C. § 1242 (the authority to practice before the Internal Revenue Service is limited by section 10.3(d) of Circular 230);
- Enrolled Retirement Plan Agents – enrolled as a retirement plan agent under the requirements of Circular 230 (the authority to practice before the Internal Revenue Service is limited by section 10.3(e)); and
- All other persons who represent taxpayers and receive compensation for their services.
Please note that practitioners in the first five categories must register for a VPID regardless of whether they receive compensation for their services.
Subscribe To Our Verified Practitioner List
Join our Verified Practitioner mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
You have Successfully Subscribed!
How to Register as a Verified Practitioner
Option 1 (recommended): Register as a Third Party on Hawaii Tax Online. Register & create an online account at the same time.
How to Register on HTO (PDF) 1page, 179 KB, 7/23/2021
Option 2: Complete Form PPS-12 (Rev. 2022) Verified Practitioner Registration Application.
Generally, applications take approximately 7 business days to process. After your application is approved, the Department will send you a Verified Practitioner Approval Letter with your assigned VPID. Please use your assigned VPID when completing the State of Hawaii – Department of Taxation Power of Attorney, Form N-848.
Benefits of using Hawaii Tax Online
- 24/7 access to client’s tax accounts
- File return(s) and make payment(s)
- Check account balances and financial summary information
- Send us a secure web message
Hawaii Tax Online FAQ (PDF) 3 pages, 136 KB, 8/9/2021
- Hawaii Tax Online FAQ (PDF) 3 pages, 136 KB, 8/9/2021
- Tax Announcement No. 2017-03
- Power of Attorney, Form N-848 (Rev. 2022)
- Form N-848 Instructions (Rev. 2022)
- Form PPS-12 (Rev. 2022)
Phone: (808) 587-1684
Email: [email protected]
Page Last Updated: January 4, 2023