General Excise Tax (GET) Information
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS)
Q. I am licensed to do business in Hawaii and want to prepare my General Excise Tax (GET) Returns. Is there a list of forms and instructions?
A. Yes, please see the General Excise and Use Tax Forms.
Q. I would like to start a business in Hawaii. What do I need to do?“
A. Please see: Tax Facts 31-1, Licensing and Tax Information for New Businesses (PDF).
Q. What is the fee for a GET license?”]A. A one-time $20 fee.
Q. Why doesn't my billing notice show the total amount paid (CST payment/charges not shown on bill)?
For more questions and answers such as the ones listed below, please see Tax Facts 37-1, General Excise Tax (GET).
Is the GET a sales tax?
What are the GET rates for businesses?
Are businesses required to charge GET?
Can businesses charge customers GET?
How much can businesses charge their customers?
Can businesses charge more than the maximum rates?
Do businesses have to tell their customers if they plan to visibly pass on GET?
If a wholesaler sells an item to a retailer who then sells that same item to me, isn’t that double taxation?
Can businesses charge GET to tax-exempt organizations such as nonprofits, government agencies, and credit unions?
Are nonresidents exempt from paying the GET on goods purchased in Hawaii?
- Tax Facts 37-1, General Excise Tax (GET)
- Other Tax Facts on General Excise/Use Tax
- Brochure: An Introduction to the General Excise Tax (PDF)
- County Surcharge on General Excise and Use Tax
- Please also search our website for Tax Information Releases, Attorney General Opinions, Letter Rulings and other resources related to the General Excise Tax.
Page Last Updated: December 3, 2019