Tax Practitioner Priority Office
Help for Tax Practitioners now available!
The Practitioner Priority Specialist (PPS) is exclusively dedicated to help registered verified practitioners with DOTAX tax account-related issues that include:
- Locating and applying payments
- Resolving certain taxpayer account issues
- Explaining DOTAX notices and letters
- Providing general procedural guidance and timeframes
- Providing links to obtain online forms and publications
- Providing information of taxpayer accounts when the tax professional is calling in regards to an account related issue
Issues outside the PPS scope which are forwarded to the appropriate function include:
- Tax law questions
- Appeal issues or questions
- Accounts under penalty and/or interest waiver consideration
- Accounts under audit examination
- Accounts assigned to Collections
- Accounts under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Unit
- Tax suggestions
- Tax clearance status or applications
- If the PPS cannot transfer the call, the caller will be provided with the appropriate contact number.
Who is required to register?
- Tax practitioners who want to utilize the services of the PPS.
- Starting on July 1, 2017, all tax professionals representing a taxpayer before the Department (see Tax Announcement No. 2017-03).
How to register and create an online account?
- Register by paper form and upon approval create an online account.
Complete and send Form PPS-12 (See links below). A letter with your Verified Practitioner ID number will be mailed to you in 1-2 weeks. You may use this I.D. number to set up an online Verified Practitioner account at Hawaii Tax Online (HTO). Press “Sign up” and select “Pre-registered Practitioner.” Once the “Sign up” is completed, log into your online Verified Practitioner account. Refer to Demo – Pre-registered (PDF) or
- Register and create an online account at the same time.
Go to Hawaii Tax Online to register a new business as a “verified practitioner” by clicking “Begin the Registration Process” under “Register new Business,” and then choose “Verified Practitioner.” You may log on to your online Verified Practitioner account after you received the authentication code from us. Refer to Demo – Online Registration (PDF).
What happens after registering?
After your application is approved, you will be mailed an approval letter with an assigned Verified Practitioner ID (VPID). This is the ID you will need to use to contact this office or the Department.
This approval letter is also available on your VP online account at HTO.
Please remember you had already created your online account when you submit the registration application on HTO.
What can you do with your online VP (Verified Practitioner) account?
You may request access to multiple clients’ tax accounts. To request access, please see the Online access related issue (PDF) under the “Learn More” section below.
What else can you do on HTO (Hawaii Tax Online)?
Online users have 24/7 access to the General Excise, Use, Transient Accommodations, and Rental Vehicle taxes to:
- Manage Accounts
- File returns (processed within 24 hours)
- Make and schedule future payments
- Check account balances
- View letters and more with no service charges
- And more with other types coming soon (see FAQ under “Learn More” section below)
Is a Power of Attorney (form N-848) still required?
Yes, a form N-848 will still be required to be filed with the Department (see link to form N-848 below), if your inquiry involves a specific taxpayer.
How to contact us?
|Practitioner Priority Specialist:||Jenny Xu|
|Mailing Address:||Department of Taxation
Practitioner Priority Office
P.O. Box 259
Honolulu, HI 96809-0259
|Telephone Number:||(808) 587-1684 (service hours 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.)|
|Fax Number:||(808) 587-9201 to attention of “PPS”|
- FAQs (PDF) – 14 pages, 1.168 MB, 2/9/2017
- New Practitioner Priority Specialist Helps Tax Practitioners (PDF) – 1 page, 52 KB, 5/2/2016
- Demo – Online Registration (PDF) – 18 pages, 782 KB, 4/26/2017
- Demo – Pre-registered (PDF) 9 pages, 736 KB, 4/26/2017
- Practitioner Priority Specialist Pre-Registration Application (Form PPS-12) (Rev. 11/2016 – Fillable)
- Practitioner Priority Specialist Pre-Registration Application (Form PPS-12) (Rev. 11/2016 – Hand writable)
- N-848 – Power of Attorney (Rev. 2014)
- N-848 Ins- Instructions for Form N-848 (Rev. 2014)
- Online access related issue (PDF)
- Taxpayer Advocate