Tax Practitioner Priority Office
Help for Tax Practitioners now available!
All tax professionals representing a taxpayer before the Department are required to register as a Verified Practitioner (VP). (See Tax Announcement No. 2017-03). Registered VPs can utilize the services of the Tax Practitioner Priority Office (PPO), and when coupled with a Hawaii Tax Online account, VPs can manage their tax accounts, file return, make payments, and conduct other common transactions with the Department.
Benefits of Verified Practitioner Registration
Only Verified Practitioners may utilize the services of the PPO. VPs on Hawaii Tax Online also have 24/7 access for supported tax types.
Resolving Account-Related Issues:
The PPO can help VPs to resolve account related issues such as:
- Resolving certain taxpayer account issues including: providing information on taxpayer accounts, locating and applying payments, and explaining DOTAX notices and letters.
- Providing general procedural guidance and timeframes
- Directing inquiries to the appropriate offices within the Department.
The PPO cannot resolve issues outside its scope. These following lists of issues cannot be handled by the PPO and will be forwarded to the appropriate section.
- Tax law questions
- Appeal issues or questions
- Accounts under penalty and/or interest waiver consideration
- Accounts under audit examination
- Accounts assigned to Collections
- Accounts under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Unit
- Tax clearance status or applications
24/7 Access to Multiple Clients’ Tax Accounts on Hawaii Tax Online
Hawaii Tax Online is convenient, secure, and reliable.
VPs may request access to multiple clients’ tax accounts and conduct the following transactions 24/7:
- Manage Accounts
- File returns (usually processed within 24 hours)
- Make and schedule future payments
- Check account balances
For online access to tax accounts, please see the step-by-step guide on How to Request Access to a Tax Account (PDF).
Supported Tax Types on Hawaii Tax Online currently include:
- General Excise Tax, Seller’s Collection, Use Tax, and County Surcharge
- Rental Motor Vehicle, Tour Vehicle, and Car-Sharing Vehicle Surcharge
- Transient Accommodations Tax
- Corporate Income Tax
- Franchise Tax
- Public Service Company Tax
- Withholding Tax
If you are interested to learn more about VP registration and online account navigation, please see the PPO’s FAQs.
How to Register as a VP and Create an Online Account at the Same Time
To cut down on processing time, the Department recommends that you register as a VP and create an online account at the same time.
First, navigate to Hawaii Tax Online. Under the services tab, click on “Register Third Party.” Then, look under the “Register as a Third Party” section and click on “Verified Practitioner.”
For a detailed step-by-step guide to registering, please see How to Register as a VP and Create an Online Account at the Same Time (PDF) rev 1.26.18.pdf.
Once the Department receives your registration application, it will take approximately 7 business days to process. After your application is approved, the Department will send you an email with an authentication code to log in.
You will also be mailed an approval letter with an assigned Verified Practitioner ID (VPID). You are required to use your VPID for Form N-848, commonly referred to as the Power of Attorney. This approval letter will also available for viewing on your Hawaii Tax Online VP account.
|Practitioner Priority Specialist:||Jenny Xu|
|Mailing Address:||Department of Taxation
Practitioner Priority Office
P.O. Box 259
Honolulu, HI 96809-0259
|Telephone Number:||(808) 587-1684 (service hours 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.)|
|Fax Number:||(808) 587-9201 to attention of “PPO”|
- FAQs (PDF) (Rev. 3/19/2018)
- How to Register as a VP and Create an Online Account at the Same Time (PDF) rev 1.26.18.pdf
- Tax Announcement 2017-03 requires all persons who represents a taxpayer in a professional capacity to register as a “verified practitioner (3/29/2017)
- How to Request Access to a Tax Account (PDF) (Rev. 8/15/2017)
- News Release: New Practitioner Priority Specialist Helps Tax Practitioners (PDF) (Rev. 5/2/2016)
- Message No. 2018-01 — 2018 Tax Updates and Time Saving Tips (PDF) January 29, 2018
- Message No. 2018-02 — Message No. 2018-02 – Department posts new Tax Information Release and Tax
Announcements relating to temporary, new, and amended administrative rules (PDF) April 12, 2018
- Message No. 2018-03 — Common questions and answers about updating an organization’s partners, members, and corporate officers; authorization for third party access; and foreign taxpayers with ITIN (PDF) July 31, 2018