Tax Practitioner Priority Office
Help for Tax Practitioners now available!
The Practitioner Priority Specialist (PPS) offers tax practitioners that register help with DOTAX tax account-related issues which include:
- Locating and applying payments
- Resolving certain taxpayer account issues
- Explaining DOTAX notices and letters
- Providing general procedural guidance and timeframes
- Providing links to obtain online forms and publications
- Providing information of taxpayer accounts when the tax professional is calling in regards to an account related issue
Issues outside the PPS scope which will be forwarded to the appropriate function include:
- Tax law questions
- Appeal issues or questions
- Accounts under penalty and/or interest waiver consideration
- Accounts under audit examination
- Accounts assigned to Collections
- Accounts under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Unit
- Tax suggestions
- Tax clearance status or applications
- If the PPS cannot transfer the call, the caller will be provided with the appropriate contact number.
How to register?
There are two ways to register:
- Register by paper, then create an online account
Complete and send Form PPS-12 (See links below). A letter with your Verified Practitioner ID number will be mailed to you in 1-2 weeks. You may use this I.D. number to set up an online Verified Practitioner account at Hawaii Tax Online. Press “Sign up” and select “Pre-registered Practitioner.” Once the “Sign up” is completed, log into your online Verified Practitioner account. Refer to Demo – Pre-registered (PDF).
- Register and create an online account at the same time
Go to Hawaii Tax Online to register a new business as a “verified practitioner” by clicking “Begin the Registration Process” under “Register new Business,” and then choose “Verified Practitioner.” You may log into your online Verified Practitioner account after you received the authentication code from us. Refer to Demo – Online Registration (PDF).
Is a Power of Attorney (form N-848) still required?
Yes, a form N-848 will still be required to be filed with the Department (see link to form N-848 below), if your inquiry involves a specific taxpayer.
How to contact us?
|Practitioner Priority Specialist:||Jenny Xu|
|Mailing Address:||Department of Taxation
Practitioner Priority Office
P.O. Box 259
Honolulu, HI 96809-0259
|Telephone Number:||(808) 587-1684 (service hours 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.)|
|Fax Number:||(808) 587-9201 to attention of “PPS”|
- FAQs (PDF) – February 9, 2017, 14 pages 1.168 MB
- New Practitioner Priority Specialist Helps Tax Practitioners (PDF) – May 2, 2016
- Demo – Online Registration (PDF) – December 23, 2016
- Demo – Pre-registered (PDF) December 23, 2016
- Practitioner Priority Specialist Pre-Registration Application (Form PPS-12) (Rev. 11/2016 – Fillable)
- Practitioner Priority Specialist Pre-Registration Application (Form PPS-12) (Rev. 11/2016 – Hand writable)
- N-848 – Power of Attorney (Rev. 2014)
- N-848 Ins- Instructions for Form N-848 (Rev. 2014)
- Taxpayer Advocate