Aloha from DOTAX!
Our mission is to administer the tax laws for the State of Hawaii in a consistent, uniform, and fair manner.
- Notices of Public Hearings
September 12, 2014
The Department will hold three public hearings on Friday, October 24, 2014, at the Princess Ruth Keelikolani Building, Room 310, 830 Punchbowl St., Honolulu, HI 96813, to allow the public to comment on the proposed adoption of the following administrative rules.
• Public hearing on proposed rules relating to cash economy enforcement. A copy of the proposed rules can be found here: Standard format Ramseyer format
• Public hearing on proposed rules relating to offers in compromise. A copy of the proposed rules can be found here: Standard format Ramseyer format
• Public hearing on proposed rules relating to the definition of ‘person totally disabled’ for purposes of Income and General Excise Tax Law. A copy of the proposed rules can be found here: Standard format Ramseyer format.
- Council on Revenues Meeting, November 3, 2014
September 10, 2014
- Tax Announcement 2014-05
September 8, 2014
Tax-Related Acts from the 2014 Regular Legislative Session
The purpose of this Announcement is to list and summarize the Acts, enacted as part of the State of Hawaii’s 2014 Legislative Session, amending or affecting the State Tax Law. Specifically this announcement will address:
• Act 42, Relating to General Excise Tax Wholesale Rate Imposed Upon Sale of Tangible Personal Property
• Act 44, Relating to the Estate and Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes
• Act 88, Relating to Conformity of the Hawaii Income Tax Law to the Internal Revenue Code
• Act 89, Relating to Taxpayer Education
• Act 101, Relating to Tax Credits
• Act 107, Relating to Energy
• Act 110, Relating to a Car-Sharing Vehicle Surcharge Tax
• Act 136, Relating to Financial Audit of the State of Hawaii by the Legislative Auditor
• Act 143, Relating to the General Excise Tax
• Act 174, Relating to Transient Accommodations Tax
• Act 200, Relating to the Capital Infrastructure Tax Credit
• Act 235, Relating to Condominium Associations
- Free Tax Return Preparation and Free Electronic Filing
February 25, 2014
Prepare your individual income tax returns and file electronically for free.
Renewable Energy Credit
We have information on the Renewable Energy Technologies Income Tax Credit (RETITC). Find out more.
Act 326 Transient Accommodation Reporting
Act 326, Session Laws of Hawaii 2012, requires both operators of transient accommodations and associations of unit/apartment owners or planned community associations (“Associations”) to report certain information. Find out more.
Online Certificate of Vendor Compliance (HCE)
Expedites your ability to furnish proof of compliance with the requirements of 103D-310(c), HRS. Find out more.
General Excise Tax/County Surcharge
Report Tax Violations
To ensure that all sectors of Hawaii’s economy, especially those that transact business in cash, pay their fair share of taxes; and to prevent, through enforcement and deterrence, the shortchanging of those that comply with Hawaii tax laws. Find out more.
Council on Revenues
The Council reports its latest revenue forecast to the governor and the legislature on June 1, September 10, January 10, and March 15 of each year. In addition, the Council prepares estimates of the state total personal income for such calendar years as are necessary for establishing the state expenditure ceiling. Find out more.