The Counties are authorized to adopt a surcharge on the general excise tax and use tax at a rate of no greater than 0.5%. The following counties have adopted the surcharge:
- City and County of Honolulu: The county surcharge is effective from January 1, 2007 to December 31, 2030 at the rate of 0.5%.
- County of Kauai: The county surcharge is effective from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2030 at the rate of 0.5%.
The county surcharge is only added to activities taxed at the 4.0% rate. The county surcharge does not apply to activities taxed at the 0.5% rate (e.g., wholesaling) or the 0.15% rate (i.e., insurance commissions). The county surcharge is computed and reported on Forms G-45 and G-49. Taxpayers who do business in more than one county must also complete Form G-75 and attach it to Forms G-45 and G-49.
If you have questions about the County Surcharge, you may call our Call Center customer service representatives at 808-587-4242 or toll-free from the neighbor islands and continental U.S. at 1-800-222-3229, Monday thru Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding State holidays).
- Tax Announcement 2005-11 Act 247, Session Laws of Hawaii 2005, Relating to County Surcharge on State Tax.
- Tax Announcement 2006-15 General Excise Tax (GET) and County Surcharge Tax (CST) Visibly Passed on to Customers.
- Tax Announcement 2006-17 Relating to the Application of the County Surcharge Sourcing Rules to Cash Basis and Accrual Basis Accounting Method Taxpayers.
Taxpayers are required to allocate their gross proceeds and gross income to the designated taxation districts pursuant to sections 18-237-8.6-01 to 18-237-8.6-10, Hawaii Administrative Rules.
The Department will be publishing additional guidance on the county surcharge, including a summary of the sourcing rules, shortly.